New Functionalities enabled on GST Portal during the month of April 2021
Change and improvements are the main reasons for success of any reform or product and the same is being adopted by the GSTN. It is goods to note that GSTN is coming up with new features day in day out and enabling the taxpayers to have seamless experience. These new features will definitely improve the user experience as well as improve the efficiency of compliances and minimizing the errors.
Let’s discuss about the new features/functionalities released by GSTN during the month of April 2021
Auto Generation of Form GSTR – 2B for QRMP (Quarterly Returns Monthly Payment) Taxpayers
For availing input tax credit matching as per Rule 69 of the CGST Rules is to be carried out based on the taxpayers Purchase Register and data auto populated in From GSTR – 2B based on the suppliers filing of Form GSTR – 1 or IFF (Invoice Furnishing Facility). The QRMP Tax payers have also to do matching and for that Form GSTR – 2B is the basis and now the same is made available to the those taxpayers
- Taxpayers can now view and download their system generated Quarterly Form GSTR-2B, for Jan-March, 2021 quarter, by clicking on Auto-drafted ITC statement for the quarter on 14th April, 2021, by selecting the last month of the quarter (M3).
- Form GSTR-2B contains details of filed IFFs (for Month M1 & M2) & filed Form GSTR 1 (for Month M3). Form GSTR 2B has two sections of ITC i.e. ITC available and ITC not available (which flows from the supplier’s filed IFF & Form GSTR-1, imports etc.). It also contains tax liability of the taxpayer (which flows from the taxpayers own filed IFF & Form GSTR-1).
- The default view of Form GSTR-2B is quarterly. However to view Form GSTR-2B of a particular month (M1, M2 or M3), taxpayer has an option to select appropriate month, from the view drop-down to view that month’s data.
- A hyperlink ‘View advisory’ has also been provided, which on clicking displays the criteria/ cut-off dates considered for generation of quarterly GSTR-2B, as a pop-up, with details of Supplies from/type i.e. Monthly taxpayer, Taxpayer in QRMP Scheme, NRTP, ISD & Import from Overseas/SEZs, and ‘From
- Offline Matching Tool enabled for QRMP Taxpayers
Matching of taxpayers purchase register and data based on the filing of Suppliers Form GSTR – 1 or IFF is an time consuming and complex activity as the taxpayers will many transactions during the return filing period. Automation is the need as it will avoid the user errors and saves time and efforts. Some taxpayers cannot afford investments on technology and for such taxpayers the GSTN has provided an offline utility for matching. With the rollout of QRMP scheme, now the same utility is being made available to the QRMP taxpayers also.
- The Matching Offline Tool has been updated and now taxpayers under QRMP Scheme will also be able to use it.
- The system generated Form GSTR-2B JSON file can be used for matching details, as available with them in their purchase register, using the updated Matching Offline Tool.
- Taxpayers under QRMP Scheme can now navigate to Services > Returns > Returns Dashboard, select the Financial Year and Return Filing Period > SEARCH and click on Download button on Auto – drafted ITC Statement – GSTR -2B tile to download system generated Form GSTR-2B JSON file, for opening and matching it in the matching tool.
- In the Matching tool dashboard page, an option to select the quarter has been provided and in the purchase register, quarters Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct Dec and Jan-Mar have been added as the tax periods.
- Auto-population of ITC data in Form GSTR – 3B for QRMP taxpayers
The success of any product or service will depend on the ease of its operations and usage it and providing auto population of data is another key element for return filing. Reconciliations or error occur when there is data entry. Form GSTR – 3B being a business critical return, the accuracy in filing of it is the need of the hour and similar to regular taxpayer the Input tax credit data is now being auto populated for QRMP Taxpayers also.
- Figures of ITC available and ITC to be reversed, will now be auto-populated in Table 4 of Form GSTR-3B of the taxpayers under QRMP scheme, from their system generated quarterly Form GSTR-2B.
- On the GSTR-3B dashboard page, an additional button ‘System computed GSTR-3B’ has also been provided, by clicking which system computed Form GSTR-3B can be downloaded in PDF format.
- Taxpayer under QRMP scheme can edit the auto-drafted values as per their records and save the updated details in their Form GSTR-3B. The system will show a warning message to taxpayers in case ITC available is increased by more than 5% or ITC to be reversed is reduced even partially, by them. However, the system will not stop the filing of Form GSTR-3B in these cases.
- Auto-population of Liability data in Form GSTR – 3B for QRMP taxpayers
Similar to input tax credit, the data related to the tax liability to the be discharged by the QRMP taxpayers will be auto populated in Form GSTR – 3B
Liability in Table-3 (except 3.1(d)) of Form GSTR-3B, for the taxpayers under QRMP Scheme, will now be auto-populated on the basis of Filed quarterly Form GSTR-1 (of Month 3) and Filed IFF (of Month 1 & 2). Liability of table 3.1 (d) is auto populated from the filer’s Form GSTR 2B.
Note: Data saved/ submitted in Form GSTR-1 or in IFF, will not be auto-populated as Liability, in Table-3 of Form GSTR 3B
- Generation of From GSTR – 11 based on From GSTR – 1 and GSTR – 5
Entities and organizations which are falling part of the Geneva Convention or as notified by commissioner from time to time have to the take registration under UIN scheme. The main idea of having a different registration number and basis on that they can claim refund on taxes paid by them for their purchases. These organizations are not required to pay taxes as part of the treaty and they are exempted but in GST as exemptions are very limited or restriced they are provided with refund mechanism and for that they have file From GSTR – 11. Now for these taxpayers also based on the suppliers GSTR – 1 or GSTR – 5, the data is auto populated.
UIN holders are required to file details of purchases (inward supplies) in their Form GSTR-11. Now their Form GSTR-11 will be generated on the basis of Form GSTR-1 & Form GSTR-5, filed by their supplier taxpayers. This will facilitate UIN holder’s in filing their refund claim